Ogre3D to Android

Ogre3D Logo

I’ve started to read a lot about Ogre3D, the open-source Object Oriented 3D Engine, which I’ve always considered to be a really interesting subject. This was triggered by a comment about ongoing effort to port of Ogre3D to Android !

This interest is going far beyond what I expected… I’ve begun by following the Ogre Basic Tutorials, and I’ve already done some tests with elements from the more advanced Tutorials, regarding the in-code mesh generation, and then terrain management and paging management! I’ve followed this path into looking to environment generators, like Ogre SkyX (sky) and Hydrax (water). I was sorry not to found any open-source outstanding project for plants, foliage and vegetation management 🙁

I was disappointed to see that the Ogre port to Android does not seems to be in a good shape; a least there was not much discussion on this recently, and there is no good documentation on how to proceed with the Android NDK :

For me, its kind of a very interesting challenge: I would like to improve the documentation on all this, a least to the point where I can bring it (I do not have much time for this).

First of all, I needed to read some more about the standard process for building Ogre with CMake:

My first step will be to compile a minimal (monothreaded without Boost) Ogre 1.8 (unstable) from source for Linux:

5 Replies to “Ogre3D to Android”

  1. hi,my english is not good and i’m doing the same things,and i have got the shared librarys using ndk r4.but when i packed them into apk and run there’s always some exceptions .i’m a beginner to ogre so i feel a little hard to debug it. so ,what’s your progress now? it’s will be nice i can hear some good news from you~:-)

    1. Hi magicwang,
      Currently I do not have enough time to pursue this goal, so I’ve been nowhere since the time of the writing (I’m using the time I have to improve some base articles here, not on higher level tasks).
      Cheers,
      SRombauts

  2. I tried one year ago to compile ogre to Android. Actually I did it. It’s a bit far but I remember the older version worked (the one with a GLES 1 renderer). I managed to render an ugly green ogre on my phone :). But sadly the latest version from repository didn’t because of the new Real Time Shader System. Generated shaders were not working with GLES 2. It was way too complex to debug and fix…

    I a sentence, there is hope but it’s not gonna be easy at all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *